25 Random Things About Me
Recently, I was tagged by both Ben Settle (on Facebook) and Michel Fortin to participate in the “25 Random Things about Me” meme.
Rules: Once you’ve been tagged, you are supposed to write a note with 25 random things, facts, habits, or goals about you. At the end, choose 5 people to be tagged. You have to tag the person who tagged you (so they know you responded). If I tagged you, it’s because I want to know more about you.
I switched these up a little bit in case you already read my Facebook response.
1. My dad was in the Air Force when I was born, and later got a job with Boeing, so I moved around a lot. I attended 7 different elementary schools — 10 schools total by the time I graduated from high school.
2. I enjoy an unusual mix of sports: snowboarding, skateboarding, motorcycling, road cycling, racquetball, and hiking. Which means I’m just as comfortable in spandex as I am in snowboarding gear.
3. Basically, I’m an adrenaline junkie, although I’ve toned it down since getting married and having kids. I still like to engage in parkour at playgrounds. (I try to do it while the other parents aren’t watching!)
4. I met my wife at a barbecue, even though we worked next door to each other. She worked at a paint/craft store, and I worked at a snowboard shop.
5. I got married when I was 20 years old.
6. My wedding day was on 9/11/99 — two years before 9/11 happened.
7. I had my first child (a daughter) when I was 23. I now have three kids: one girl, two boys.
8. I knew in the 8th grade I would become a writer. And here I am.
9. Before becoming a freelance copywriter in 2005, I wrote newspaper articles in high school and college — and had my poetry published by St. Olaf College two years in a row.
10. I now make a living from my writing. I love it.
11. I’ve logged every book I’ve ever read since the 8th grade. Every year, I print out my log, hole punch it, and put it in a binder.
12. Back in 1998, I made $10 an hour installing wire closet shelving in new homes. I can’t tell you how many times people joked about me “coming out of the closet.” Unpleasant side effect of working in real, literal closets 10 hours a day.
13. I am more contrarian than most folks. I don’t fit in well with any political groups or religious denominations. I prefer to question everything rather than accept things at face value.
15. I was pigeon-toed as a boy. I had to put custom plastic foot inserts into my shoes to help turn my feet out. Every time my feet grew, I had to go get a new custom set of inserts made.
16. I love to study history.
17. I love to sing in the car — and I don’t give a hoot if people are watching. This is one reason I prefer male artists to female artists: it’s easier for me to sing along when a guy is singing.
18. I gave up playing the saxophone to learn to speak German. I spoke it fluently by the end of high school, and even won the German student of the year award. Unfortunately, I never went to Germany and have lost a lot of what I learned.
19. I love to learn for the sake of learning.
20. I love to laugh — and I like odd comedies like Napolean Dynamite, Flight of the Conchords, and (more recently) The Office.
21. If I could get my wife on board, I’d probably pack it up and move the family to Ireland for a year, just for the sheer adventure of it.
22. I’m a risk taker.
23. I have made some really stupid decisions. Like spending $30,000 on vending machines. This ranks as my worst financial decision ever. If I had known that Antares, the name of the company selling the machines, means “the wounding” or “tearing” in ancient Arabic, I probably wouldn’t have gone through with it.
24. My wife is amazing, and has been a significant factor in my business success.
25. I am genuinely interested in people. (So tell me about yourself!)
If you’d like to participate, simply write up your own list, publish it on your blog, and link back to this post. I’ll reciprocate by adding a link to yours.
-Ryan M. Healy
P.P.S. Scott Birkhead has written his own list of 25 random things here.